Asbestos floor tiles should not pose a threat to your health unless they are removed. Asbestos can become airborne and cause asbestosis, mesothelioma or lung cancer.
To make building materials stronger and more resistant to heat, asbestos was a common ingredient. Vinyl floor tiles that were installed before 1980 most likely contain asbestos.
Removing Asbestos Tiles Properly
It is highly recommended that homeowners not remove floor tiles by themselves due to the health risks associated with asbestos exposure.Floor tiles that are fragile can be broken or pulverized by hand pressure. This is when a licensed asbestos contractor should handle the removal.
Materials required for safe asbestos tile removal
- Use plastic sheets to seal the work area off from the rest.
- A respirator equipped with a HEPA filter
- A HEPA filter is an air purifier that captures any particles in the air.
- Disposable gloves and coveralls
- Sealable plastic bags for asbestos floor tile disposal
- Use a pump sprayer, heat gun, putty knife or dry ice depending on your removal method
- Wet wipes
- Dry dust can be captured by vacuuming with HEPA filter