There are many types of fungi that live in the environment. Some can be harmful, others are beneficial and some are dangerous. This is not mold on oranges. We mean orange-colored mold. Orange mold can grow on food, wood and other materials. It is usually slimy and spongy, rather than fuzzy like other types of molds. As it grows, this type of mold will show small dark-shaded areas before taking on its orange color. It can grow alongside and even in combination with other types of mold. The question is: Is it dangerous?
Although orange mold is not considered a major health risk, it can still cause serious reactions. Exposure to orange mold can cause a negative reaction in people with sensitivities.
Mold-Related Health Illnesses
Many allergic reactions can be caused by inhaling mold spores or physical contact with them. These allergic reactions can occur immediately or can develop over time from prolonged exposure. These dangerous health effects may be caused by moldy environments, according to the CDC.
- Stuffy or Runny Nose
- You are wheezing
- Eye and Throat Pain
- Skin Rash
- Infections of the Upper Respiratory Tract
- Lung Irritations
- Acute idiopathic pneumonia hemorhage (bleeding of the lungs).
- Memory Loss
Orange Mold can grow in common areas
Orange mold can be found in many places, including the refrigerator where it is often stored with refrigerated foods. This mold loves dairy products, such as yogurts and cheeses. It also likes breads. This does not mean that the mold cannot be grown outside of your fridge. This mold can be found in foods that are stored in containers and on shelves.
Orange mold contamination can also cause problems with water filters. Your refrigerator’s water filter may become contaminated if it has water supply, either through an icemaker or glass. It is important to check it regularly and to replace it as needed. Also, avoid storing any moldy food in your refrigerator. You should throw them out as soon as possible to prevent the mold spreading to other foods. Orange mold is more common in areas where the rainwater has higher acidity. Orange mold can be attracted to hard water, which is water that has not been softened.
Orange mold loves wood as a food source. Because attics are more humid than the rest of the house, they can easily attack windowsills and exposed floor joists.
There are many types of orange mold
There are four categories for orange mold. Each sub-category has a different appearance and toxicity.
Acremonium This mold is very mild and has no effect on the immune system. It takes five days for it to grow. As it ages, it becomes leathery. It can appear orange as well as grayish or pinkish.
Orange Slime — This mold is what you’d expect. Its name says it all. It’s also known as “sludge mould”. It is most common on trees and is generally considered to be an annoyance. However, it is virtually harmless to humans.
Remove Orange Mold
There are many ways to get rid of mold depending on where it is located. You can clean the mold in your toilet with bleach, vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. Flushing the toilet frequently will reduce the amount of microorganisms in the water and prevent them from growing. The portable steamer can also be used to remove molds from toilets.
Water filters can be improved by changing them regularly and using an oxidizing water filter. You should throw out any food that might become moldy in your refrigerator. Then, clean the interior surfaces with the bleach, vinegar or hydrogen peroxide mentioned above.
Bleach is not recommended for the removal of orange mold from wood. Bleach is a mixture of chlorine and water. In fact, most bleach contains 96% water. According to science, chlorine can only be used on the surface of any material. It won’t harm any living things below the surface (mold roots). However, the bleach will absorb water and provide additional water to the organism you are trying to kill.